Each season, more than 400 volunteers from the Dayton area donate more than 50,000 hours of their time to Dayton Live. We truly couldn’t do what we do without their invaluable support!
Volunteers work as ticket scanners, ushers, and bartenders at the Victoria Theatre, Benjamin & Marian Schuster Center Performing Arts Center, the PNC Arts Annex, and The Loft Theatre at the Metropolitan Arts Center. Ushers are responsible for directing patrons to their seats, enforcing house policies, assisting patrons, and answering questions.
Becoming A Volunteer
Volunteers are expected to attend an orientation session as well as other training sessions. We ask that they each commit to working a minimum of 20 performances per season. The commitment to volunteering should be viewed as a part-time job. We expect the same high standards of professionalism from our volunteers as we do from our paid staff members!
Effective May 1, 2023, Dayton Live will no longer require volunteers to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination. We did not come to this decision lightly. However, after the recent announcement by the White House to terminate both the public health and national COVID-19 emergencies on May 11, 2023, we feel it is no longer equitable to require it as a condition of volunteerism.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Work 20 shifts over the performing arts season (September – August).
- Friendly, personable, and professional demeanor.
- A team player with ability to work well with persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work all positions in all Dayton Live venues.
- Interest in and enthusiasm for the performing arts.
- Ushers are expected to stand for long periods of time.
- Ushers are expected to climb up and down stairs.
- Ushers are expected to lift and move up to 10 pounds.
- Ushers are expected to work in a dimly lit environment.
- Regular and punctual attendance is mandatory.
Interested In Joining The Volunteer Team?
Please fill out an application below and set-up your username and password for our online scheduling system, Better Impact. Once your application is received your email will be added to our training list.
We typically host training in spring and fall. Once dates are solidified and email will go out with instructions on how to sign-up.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us!
London Coe (July 2022)
London Coe is quite the accomplished woman. She has been a number of things over the years and continues to build out her impressive resume. She has been an actress, writer, business owner, activist, abolitionist, and a volunteer in our community. London has been volunteering with Dayton Live for about 5 years now, and before moving to Dayton with her family, she lived in Chicago for several years. Click here to read more about London Coe!