2024-2025 PREMIER HEALTH BROADWAY IN DAYTON SEASON TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW!

Click here for details!
Banner Close

The Divine Nine

National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. (NPHC)

Black Greek Letter Organizations were launched on the campuses of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in the early 1900s to create a space for Black students to build and strengthen professional relationships in the community.

They combated racism as, at the time, many campus membership organizations excluded Black people. Most importantly, BGLOs were built on the principles of educational advancement and attainment, scholarship, and service to promote excellence in the Black community.

Then, on May 10, 1930, The National Pan-Hellenic Council Inc. (NPHC) was formed on the campus of Howard University. It was chartered by Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.

In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., joined the council, followed by Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. in 1937. The NPHC incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., joined the NPHC as its ninth affiliate member in 1997.

National Pan-Hellenic Council Inc.